[WATCH] 86 Year Old Man Gets $900,000 Settlement After Being Tased by Georgia Police


An 86-year-old black man injured after being jolted by a white officer’s Taser will get a $900,000 payout — one of the most significant for a stun gun case in South Carolina history — as video emerged Friday of the Kingstree encounter that raises further questions about police training on the use of force.

Albert Chatfield, who has dementia, put his hands in the air after a brief car chase Oct. 16 in the small Williamsburg County community, but he jogged backward from the officers trying to arrest him.

An officer said in a report that Chatfield was shocked with the stun gun to stop him from getting hit by passing traffic. But the only car in the video footage is backing slowly away from the action.

A federal court last year also declared unconstitutional any Taser use against someone who doesn’t present a danger to another person. Chatfield’s lawyer, state Rep. Justin Bamberg, said that an elderly man in a bout of confusion posed no threat and that the officers’ justification of the takedown contradicted the video.

Chatfield fell, and his head hit the pavement.

That a supervisor had ordered the officer to use the Taser shows a pervasive lack of training on the regulations, Bamberg said Friday.

“This is a learning opportunity,” he said. “It’s very unfortunate that such a learning session has to come at the expense of an 86-year-old grandfather. But it’s an opportunity to look at Taser training and try to stop it from happening from somebody else.”

The State Law Enforcement Division opened an investigation into the ordeal at the Kingstree police chief’s request, but no criminal charges were expected to come of it, a decision that Chatfield’s family did not oppose.

Pages: 1 2

If you haven’t already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

<!–

(function(d) {
var params =
{
id: “3c7936d6-71e2-4cba-afb4-95ed4171941f”,
d: “ZmlsbWluZ2NvcHMuY29t”,
wid: “365543”,
cb: (new Date()).getTime()
};

var qs=[];
for(var key in params) qs.push(key+’=’+encodeURIComponent(params[key]));
var s = d.createElement(‘script’);s.type=’text/javascript’;s.async=true;
var p = ‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https’ : ‘http’;
s.src = p + “://api.content-ad.net/Scripts/widget2.aspx?” + qs.join(‘&’);
d.getElementById(“contentad365543”).appendChild(s);
})(document);
–>

Filming Cops

Source Article from http://filmingcops.com/watch-86-year-old-man-gets-900000-settlement-tased-georgia-police/

$3 Million Lawsuit Settlement After 900 High School Students Searched Without Cause


WORTH CO., GA – Governor Nathan Deal has appointed an interim sheriff for Worth County after Jeff Hobby was suspended.

On Monday, Deal announced he suspended Hobby from office by Executive Order.

Tuesday, another Executive Order was signed stating Bobby Sapp will fill the temporary vacancy as sheriff of Worth County pending the changes against Hobby or until his term ends, whichever comes first.

The Southern Center for Human Rights announced Tuesday that the total settlement fund will be $3 million in a federal civil rights lawsuit, which is the limit of the defendant’s insurance policy.

A lawyer for Hobby issued the following statement:

“Worth County entered into a coverage agreement with ACCG(Association County Commissioners of Georgia), who will make the payment in the settlement reached today. It is an insurance policy that covers the county in these types of cases (civil). ACCG will make the payment. Tax payers dollars will not be used to pay for the settlement” – Raleigh W. Rollins, Partner of Alexander & Vann, LLP. 

The lawsuit was filed in July claiming nearly 900 students were searched without cause at Worth County High School in April.

The settlement, which is pending approval from U.S. District Judge Leslie J. Abrams, will be dispersed to all students who were present for the search.

An attorney with Atlanta-based civil rights law firm Horsely Begnaud, Mark Begnaud, said that if the settlement is approved each student will be sent home with a survey they are asked to fill out for an account of their experience during the search.

Each student will then receive between $1,000 and $6,000, and the students who were subjected to more invasive searches will get a higher amount.

Additionally, once all claims are resolved and attorney fees paid, the remainder of the settlement will be put into a fund to benefit Worth County High School students.

Pages: 1 2

If you haven’t already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

<!–

(function(d) {
var params =
{
id: “3c7936d6-71e2-4cba-afb4-95ed4171941f”,
d: “ZmlsbWluZ2NvcHMuY29t”,
wid: “365543”,
cb: (new Date()).getTime()
};

var qs=[];
for(var key in params) qs.push(key+’=’+encodeURIComponent(params[key]));
var s = d.createElement(‘script’);s.type=’text/javascript’;s.async=true;
var p = ‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https’ : ‘http’;
s.src = p + “://api.content-ad.net/Scripts/widget2.aspx?” + qs.join(‘&’);
d.getElementById(“contentad365543”).appendChild(s);
})(document);
–>

Filming Cops

Source Article from http://filmingcops.com/3-million-lawsuit-settlement-900-high-school-students-searched-without-cause/

[WATCH] Family Of Mentally-Ill Denver Man Killed By Cops Gets $4.6 Million Settlement


Nearly two years after Michael Marshall was killed by Denver deputy sheriffs at the downtown jail, the city has agreed to pay his family $4.65 million. But because Marshall was schizophrenic, the family insisted that new policies be put in place to train officers on how to deal with mentally ill inmates.

They hope that the “Michael Marshall Rules” will ensure that no other inmate sees a similar fate.

A Two-Pronged Approach

Family attorney Darold Killmer said that equipping the department with the tools and resources needed to support inmates with mental health issues can prevent these kinds of tragedies from happening.

“If there would have been this type of mental health expertise at the jail the night that Michael Marshall was here, he very well could be alive today,” Killmer said at Wednesday’s press conference.

“The number of lives that this measure alone will save in the future is uncountable, but it’s certain to make an impact.”

The measure calls for the hiring of two on-site mental health providers by Jan. 1 to service the Downtown Detention Center and County Jail around the clock.

Deputies will now also be required to undergo training on mental illness in the jail population as well as how to handle mentally ill inmates–including when to use force.

What Went Wrong With Marshall?

In Marshall’s case, the 50-year-old man had been arrested for trespassing and disturbing the peace, as reported by the Denver Post.

While in custody on a $100 bond, jail video showed him in an agitated state attempting to leave the area where he had been detained. One of the deputies grabbed Marshall while five others climbed on top of him to subdue him, thus suffocating him. He choked on his own vomit and had to be hospitalized.

Pages: 1 2

If you haven’t already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

<!–

(function(d) {
var params =
{
id: “3c7936d6-71e2-4cba-afb4-95ed4171941f”,
d: “ZmlsbWluZ2NvcHMuY29t”,
wid: “365543”,
cb: (new Date()).getTime()
};

var qs=[];
for(var key in params) qs.push(key+’=’+encodeURIComponent(params[key]));
var s = d.createElement(‘script’);s.type=’text/javascript’;s.async=true;
var p = ‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https’ : ‘http’;
s.src = p + “://api.content-ad.net/Scripts/widget2.aspx?” + qs.join(‘&’);
d.getElementById(“contentad365543”).appendChild(s);
})(document);
–>

Filming Cops

Source Article from http://filmingcops.com/watch-family-mentally-ill-denver-man-killed-cops-gets-4-6-million-settlement/

Utah nurse reaches $500,000 settlement in dispute over her arrest for blocking cop from drawing blood from patient

Wubbels will use a portion of the money to help people get body camera footage, at no cost, of incidents involving themselves, she said at the news conference. In addition, Porter’s law firm, Christensen & Jensen, will provide for free any legal services necessary to obtain the video.

Source Article from http://govtslaves.info/2017/11/utah-nurse-reaches-500000-settlement-in-dispute-over-her-arrest-for-blocking-cop-from-drawing-blood-from-patient/

$1 Million Settlement in Albany County Jail Death Case


The settlement was filed recently in U.S. District Court in Albany, where Cannon’s mother had filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of Cannon’s infant daughter.

Cannon’s symptoms steadily worsened after employees of a medical company that had a contract with the county brushed off his severe neurological symptoms as heat exhaustion, instructing guards to give him water and let him rest.

Later that night, Cannon’s condition had deteriorated to the point where he lay nearly motionless on the floor of an infirmary cell with foam oozing from his mouth. A nurse patted his arm and wiped away the saliva, wrongly believing Cannon was recovering from a seizure even though he had no history of medical problems.

A nurse finally contacted a doctor for advice, and he instructed her to immediately call an ambulance. But it was too late: Cannon lingered for several days at Albany Medical Center Hospital before he was removed from life support.

Doctors determined Cannon had suffered a stroke — a loss of blood flow to his brain stem — that may have been caused by working out in the jail’s recreation area on the day he fell ill. Emergency surgery might have saved his life, but too many hours had passed after the injury.

The state’s investigation cited multiple missteps by nurses, including their repeated failure to acknowledge the severity of Cannon’s symptoms or consult a physician until it was too late.

“Mark Cannon had a progressively deteriorating neurological situation that was completely disregarded by nursing staff despite dramatic signs and symptoms of an active neurological emergency and Cannon’s repeated requests for medical care,” the investigative report states.

The sharp criticism of Correctional Medical Care, a Pennsylvania-based private company, came as the state was probing the company’s conduct related to multiple inmate deaths across the state.

If you haven’t already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

<!–

(function(d) {
var params =
{
id: “3c7936d6-71e2-4cba-afb4-95ed4171941f”,
d: “ZmlsbWluZ2NvcHMuY29t”,
wid: “365543”,
cb: (new Date()).getTime()
};

var qs=[];
for(var key in params) qs.push(key+’=’+encodeURIComponent(params[key]));
var s = d.createElement(‘script’);s.type=’text/javascript’;s.async=true;
var p = ‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https’ : ‘http’;
s.src = p + “://api.content-ad.net/Scripts/widget2.aspx?” + qs.join(‘&’);
d.getElementById(“contentad365543”).appendChild(s);
})(document);
–>

Filming Cops

Source Article from http://filmingcops.com/1-million-settlement-albany-county-jail-death-case/

Horry County Pays $185,000 in Settlement With Woman Who Accused Detective of Misconduct

Troy Allen Large

HORRY COUNTY, SC – Horry County paid $185,000 in a settlement with a woman who filed a lawsuit against former Horry County Police detective Troy Allen Large last year, newly-obtained documents reveal.

A receipt from the Office of the Treasurer of South Carolina shows a payment of $185,000 to the attorneys for the woman, who has been identified only as “Jane Doe 2” to protect her identity. This woman filed the third lawsuit filed against Large, who is accused of misconduct on the job. It ended with a settlement in July of this year. The receipt shows the funds came from the State of South Carolina Treasury, specifically, from the State Fiscal Accountability Authority.

The settlement agreement, dated September 7 of this year, states that Horry County and Horry County Police will pay the full amount of the settlement. It states that Large and Jane Doe 2 relinquish any and all counterclaims, potential claims or lawsuits against each other. It states that Jane Doe 2 agrees to dismiss with prejudice the lawsuit, and releases all parties named in the suit from any claims or damages.

According to an order of dismissal filed on Monday, July 24, counsel for all parties in the case of “Jane Doe 2” advised the action has been settled.

The settlement comes more than a year since the lawsuit was initially filed, in May 2016. The plaintiff alleged that she contacted the Horry County Police Department in May 2015 to report that she was raped.

Large then reportedly contacted her days later to say they would meet. The former detective allegedly called her beautiful and said he could understand how the suspect couldn’t resist himself. Ultimately, the case was determined to be unfounded.

Pages: 1 2

If you haven’t already, be sure to like our Filming Cops Page on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Please visit our sister site Smokers ONLY

<!–

(function(d) {
var params =
{
id: “3c7936d6-71e2-4cba-afb4-95ed4171941f”,
d: “ZmlsbWluZ2NvcHMuY29t”,
wid: “365543”,
cb: (new Date()).getTime()
};

var qs=[];
for(var key in params) qs.push(key+’=’+encodeURIComponent(params[key]));
var s = d.createElement(‘script’);s.type=’text/javascript’;s.async=true;
var p = ‘https:’ == document.location.protocol ? ‘https’ : ‘http’;
s.src = p + “://api.content-ad.net/Scripts/widget2.aspx?” + qs.join(‘&’);
d.getElementById(“contentad365543”).appendChild(s);
})(document);
–>

Filming Cops

Source Article from http://filmingcops.com/horry-county-pays-185000-settlement-woman-accused-detective-misconduct/

Israel Plans 2,615 New Settlement Housing Units; Get Busy Paying Your Taxes, Americans!

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 5,792 other followers

Source Article from https://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/2017/10/18/israel-plans-2615-new-settlement-housing-units-get-busy-paying-your-taxes-americans/

Palestinian Kills Three Israelis in a Settlement Near Jerusalem

A Palestinian attacker opened fire early on Tuesday at the entrance to a settlement outside Jerusalem, killing three Israeli men and critically wounding a fourth.

Source Article from https://www.yahoo.com/news/palestinian-kills-three-israelis-settlement-102133738.html

Chicago Approves Record $9.5 Million Settlement for Man Permanently Paralyzed After Being Tasered by Police

Download your free copy now.


Source Article from http://filmingcops.com/chicago-approves-record-9-5-million-settlement-man-permanently-paralyzed-tasered-police/