Kim Jong-un and South Korean president hammer out US summit plans

The meeting is the second of its kind in two months, with the pair sitting down at a location near the demilitarized zone on the Korean peninsula

READ MORE: ‘They’re playing with world peace’: What next for US-North Korea relations?

According to Reuters, this latest discussion centered on the on-off summit that was sensationally scrapped by Donald Trump, who cited “tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed by North Korea’s government after they took umbrage at a comment by US Vice-President Mike Pence.

During a Fox News interview, Pence suggested that the country could become like Libya if it does not disarm its nuclear weapons. When asked if that was a threat, Pence said it was “more of a fact.”

The ‘peace’ summit had been billed as an opportunity to encourage denuclearization in the region, as well as a chance to bring North Korea in from the political wilderness.

Saturday’s meeting between the leaders of North and South Korea marks a recent and gradual thaw in relations, which have been almost caustic since the Korean peninsula was divided in 1945. It comes after Trump appeared to raise hope that the cancelled plans for a summit in Singapore on June 12 could be pulled from the fire.

READ MORE: Trump says he’s having ‘very productive talks’ with N. Korea on reinstating summit

“We are having very productive talks with North Korea about reinstating the summit which if it does happen, will likely remain in Singapore on the same date, June 12th,” the US president tweeted on Saturday.

Think your friends would be interested? Share this story!

Source Article from https://www.rt.com/news/427852-north-korea-moon-jae/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Kim Jong-un and Moon Jae-in hammer out US summit plans

Moon Jae-in bids farewell to North Korean leader Kim Jong Un

    

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has held a surprise closed-door meeting with his South Korean counterpart over the cancelled summit with US President Donald Trump.

The meeting is the second of its kind in two months, with the pair sitting down at a location near the demilitarized zone on the Korean peninsula

According to Reuters, this latest discussion centered on the on-off summit that was sensationally scrapped by Donald Trump, who cited “tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed by North Korea’s government after they took umbrage at a comment by US Vice-President Mike Pence.


Comment: Pence’s remark and the US military exercises are displays of open hostility towards N. Korea for crying out loud.

During a Fox News interview, Pence suggested that the country could become like Libya if it does not disarm its nuclear weapons. When asked if that was a threat, Pence said it was “more of a fact.”

The ‘peace’ summit had been billed as an opportunity to encourage denuclearization in the region, as well as a chance to bring North Korea in from the political wilderness.

Saturday’s meeting between the leaders of North and South Korea marks a recent and gradual thaw in relations, which have been almost caustic since the Korean peninsula was divided in 1945. It comes after Trump appeared to raise hope that the cancelled plans for a summit in Singapore on June 12 could be pulled from the fire.

“We are having very productive talks with North Korea about reinstating the summit which if it does happen, will likely remain in Singapore on the same date, June 12th,” the US president tweeted on Saturday.

Source Article from https://www.sott.net/article/386555-Kim-Jong-un-and-Moon-Jae-in-hammer-out-US-summit-plans

Man plans 5,500 mile swim across Pacific to highlight plastic pollution

I sometimes feel like I’m not doing enough. This guy makes those feelings worse.

From time to time, most of us environmentalists get hit with that feeling that we are not doing enough to divert the planetary crisis. There’s nothing like receiving a press release about a dude who is literally going to swim the entire Pacific Ocean to compound those feelings…

Now, from crossing the ocean on a boat made from trash to the woman who paddleboarded across England documenting litter, we’ve seen some relatively epic journeys on the quest to clean up our oceans and waterways.

But long-distance swimmer Ben Lecomte—the first person to swim the Atlantic—is blowing them all (sorry!) out of the water. Together with a team from the folks at Seeker.com and Discovery, Ben is embarking on The Longest Swim—an attempt to swim the 5,500 miles from Japan to California—taking him right through the famed Great Pacific Garbage Patch—in an effort to raise awareness of the plight of our oceans.

Accompanied by a yacht and support team, Ben isn’t just doing this for awareness and publicity. He’ll also be collecting more than 1000 samples along the way, partnering with respected science institutions like the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution to study issues ranging from plastics pollution to mammal migration.

He’s also likely going to have to deal with sharks:

The Longest Swim mapThe Longest Swim/Screen capture

Now, a quick visit to the project’s trailer on YouTube will reveal plenty of geniuses pointing out that he’s going to have to stop to sleep and eat. Which is a given. The entire journey is going to take 180 days, so it’s somewhat silly to complain about the man needing to eat or sleep. But for those wondering, the plan is to spend eight hours a day in the water, covering an average distance of 30 miles per day. He’ll be eating/sleeping/resting on the yacht, but the crew will be marking his exact location with GPS when he exits the water, and he’ll be plonked right where he left off to continue his journey.

Anyone interested in following along can do so on the live tracker embedded on The Longest Swim website, and there will be plenty of blogs and video updates along the way.

Good luck Ben! And rather you than me…

Source Article from https://www.treehugger.com/plastic/man-plans-5500-mile-swim-across-pacific-highlight-plastic-pollution.html

UK plans ‘world’s largest’ network of energy storage and vehicle rapid charging

For the longest time, when we talked about electrification of transport, naysayers would warn that it could destabilize the grid. Recently, however, the company responsible for running the UK’s electricity grid stated that it saw no barrier to electrification—in fact, it said, the government could bring its proposed 2040 petrol/diesel car ban forward ten years and it could still meet the challenge.

UK-based Pivot Power would appear to agree, as they’ve just unveiled plans for an ambitious network of grid-connected energy storage and electric vehicle charging which could simultaneously balance supply and demand on the grid, and also provide electric vehicle rapid charging to hundreds of vehicles at once—without causing the kinds of surges in demand that naysayers were once so worried about.

Specifically, once built, the proposed battery network would be the world’s largest of its kinds—consisting of 45 sites (already identified) with 50MW of stationary battery storage at each location. Each spot would be co-located with electricity sub-stations in order to maximize grid-stabilization services, but also happen to be near major towns, cities or roads—potentially supporting up to 100 rapid 150KW chargers, and even 350KW chargers once cars are around that can charge that fast.

Pivot Power is pretty explicit about their intention—and that’s to “accelerate the decline of petrol and diesel”. I must say, if nothing else, it’s refreshing to hear clean technology advocates talking in such ambitious, absolute terms. Because there’s no doubt that this is what needs to happen in order to achieve a low carbon transition.

And for those folks who fear a shift from petrol/diesel car dependency to electric car dependency, it’s an encouraging sign that the Pivot Power network isn’t just focused on private car ownership. Alongside public charging, the network is also looking at providing services for “electric bus depots and bases for large transport fleets.”

The first ten sites should be developed in the next 18 months. They can’t come soon enough as far as I am concerned.

Source Article from https://www.treehugger.com/cars/uk-plans-worlds-largest-network-energy-storage-and-vehicle-rapid-charging.html

Trump Administration Plans to Reveal Middle East Peace Plan Next Month

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 5,961 other followers

Source Article from https://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/2018/05/20/trump-administration-plans-to-reveal-middle-east-peace-plan-next-month/

New ICBM in 2020, hypersonic glider in 2019: Putin outlines nuclear deployment plans

The deadline for the deployment of the two weapon systems was confirmed by the Russian president on Friday during a meeting with defense officials and contractors – the first such meeting since the reshuffle of the Russian cabinet earlier this week.

READ MORE: Hypersonic nukes & missiles of unlimited range: Newest additions to Russia’s arsenal (VIDEOS)

The Sarmat is Russia’s future silo-based intercontinental ballistic missile, which will replace the ageing Voyevoda ICBMs. The new weapon is said to have extended range, which allows such missiles to reach US territory from the south, where they cannot be stopped by anti-ballistic interceptors deployed in Alaska.

The Avangard is a nuclear warhead, which can glide through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds that make it virtually impossible to intercept with modern and near-future technologies. The Sarmat is expected to carry Avangard gliders.

Both weapon systems were showcased by Putin in March during a key policy speech. He said they and several other weapons currently in development in Russia make American ABM systems incapable of reducing Russian nuclear deterrence in the foreseeable future. He said this means that Washington’s decades-old effort to tip the strategic balance with Russia in America’s favor has failed.

Like this story? Share it with a friend!

Source Article from https://www.rt.com/news/427196-sarmat-avangard-deployment-deadlines/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=RSS

Putin outlines nuclear deployment plans: New ICBM in 2020, hypersonic glider in 2019

Test launch of a Sarmat missile

    

The Russian military is expected to deploy the Sarmat ICBM in 2020 and the Avangard hypersonic glider warhead in 2019, according to Vladimir Putin. He described both weapons as essential for future nuclear deterrence.

The deadline for the deployment of the two weapon systems was confirmed by the Russian president on Friday during a meeting with defense officials and contractors – the first such meeting since the reshuffle of the Russian cabinet earlier this week.

The Sarmat is Russia’s future silo-based intercontinental ballistic missile, which will replace the ageing Voyevoda ICBMs. The new weapon is said to have extended range, which allows such missiles to reach US territory from the south, where they cannot be stopped by anti-ballistic interceptors deployed in Alaska.

The Avangard is a nuclear warhead, which can glide through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds that make it virtually impossible to intercept with modern and near-future technologies. The Sarmat is expected to carry Avangard gliders.

Both weapon systems were showcased by Putin in March during a key policy speech. He said they and several other weapons currently in development in Russia make American ABM systems incapable of reducing Russian nuclear deterrence in the foreseeable future. He said this means that Washington’s decades-old effort to tip the strategic balance with Russia in America’s favor has failed.

Source Article from https://www.sott.net/article/385950-Putin-outlines-nuclear-deployment-plans-New-ICBM-in-2020-hypersonic-glider-in-2019

Plans Moving Forward for Miami-Dade Mega Mall: The American Dream






Plans Moving Forward for Miami-Dade Mega Mall: The American Dream


May 9th, 2018

Ski slopes in gator country…

I wish Hunter S. Thompson was here to tackle this one.

Via: CBS:

A mega mall and entertainment complex in Northwest Miami-Dade that would dwarf any other appears to be on course for approval, but not without controversy.

It’s called the American Dream.

It would be the largest mall in the world.

A shopping and entertainment complex slated to go up on vacant land south of where the Florida Turnpike and I-75 meet near Broward County.

“We are not a run-of-the-mill mall,� said attorney Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, who represents the developers of the mall project. “We’re a family destination. We’re an entertainment complex. We’re a job-creating vehicle for Miami-Dade County.�

Developers say the retail shops, indoor pool and beach, waterslides and ski slopes would hire 14,000 people.

“We fully want to see this happen,� said Miami-Dade resident Ken Forrest. “Because it helps to improve the overall tourism industry.�

A local mother told the planning board the American Dream would save a drive to Disney World in Orlando, some three-plus hours away from Miami-Dade.

“As a mother of four small children, I’m very excited about the prospect of having a theme park for them,� said Homestead resident and mother Summer Davis.















<!–

–>











<!– AD CAN GO HERE

Buy gold online - quickly, safely and at low prices

END: AD CAN GO HERE –>

Leave a Reply


You must be logged in to post a comment.







Source Article from http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=52760