Too many "happy white dancing people"? Hungarian mayor outraged at exclusion from EU culture contest

hungarian folk dancers

    

A Hungarian city’s bid to become the European Union’s next “Capital of Culture” was allegedly rejected by EU officials because its video entry showed too many smiling, dancing, white Christians, the city’s mayor says.

Székesfehérvár, Hungary’s ninth-largest city, submitted a short video as part of its entry for the 2023 European Capitals of Culture contest, a competition designed to “celebrate the cultural features Europeans share.” Featuring folk dancers, young couples, mothers, babies and even two elderly gentlemen playing chess in a park, the video was rejected. The EU panel of “independent experts in the field of culture” felt it had too many happy white people and not enough migrants, the city’s mayor Dr András Cser-Palkovics has claimed.

Speaking at a press conference after the panel’s ruling, Cser-Palkovics said that his city’s entry never received a fair hearing, and that the panel’s decision was purely political.

According to Cser-Palkovics, one member of the jury of “experts,” whom he identified as a Belgian politician, strongly disapproved of the promotional video, calling it a “propaganda film for white Christian Europe” in which “everyone is white, happy and dancing in the streets.”

He said that the panel criticized the film for leaving out “the poor and migrants” while having too many “crosses and churches.”

Unapologetic for the video’s content, Cser-Palkovics told Hungarian media that “we love our city with our temples and our crosses. We love being safe, calm, and that people can democratically confess their own values,” adding that he would push for a government inquiry into how the contest is managed.

“I would like to bring the matter before the general assembly and inform all members of the board about the style and content of the hearing as well as about practically denying our own culture.”

Source Article from https://www.sott.net/article/378081-Too-many-happy-white-dancing-people-Hungarian-mayor-outraged-at-exclusion-from-EU-culture-contest

State Bans Popular AR-15 Accessory, Police Shocked After Only 4 People Comply

bump stockbump stock

Massachusetts became the first state to ban bump-stocks for firearms, and after three weeks with the new law in effect, police are apparently shocked that only a few citizens have come forward to voluntarily give up their newly illegal devices.

Bump stocks, which replace a rifle’s standard stock and allow the gun to mimic an automatic weapon, came under fire in October after police claimed that the suspected gunman in the Las Vegas shooting, Stephen Paddock, had 12 rifles with bump stocks in his hotel room.

While it is not clear whether the bump stocks were used, or how they contributed to the carnage that resulted from the shooting, they became the focus of the mainstream media’s wrath, and Massachusetts jumped into action. Now, residents who violate the new law could spend anywhere from 18 months to life in prison.

The ban took place in the state on Feb. 1, and the new regulations gave residents the option to turn their bump stocks over to law enforcement with no repercussions—but so far, police departments in Springfield, West Springfield, Holyoke, Agawam, Granby and Ludlow have received zero bump stocks.

The Chicopee Police Department has received four bump stocks, and Officer Mike Wilk told 22News that he was actually shocked by the low response. “Four is surprising. I figured we would get a few more, but at least we got four,” Wilk said.

There is no incentive for residents to turn in their bump stocks, other than a pat on the back and the peace of mind that they no longer own something the state has deemed illegal. Wilk said he believes that “there are people that could transfer them out of state. If they had a second residence they could have brought them there.”

Essex Police Chief Peter Silva told CBS Boston that the one man in his city who voluntarily turned his bump stock in expressed his frustration at the fact that he paid more than $250 for the device and he was now being forced to turn it over to the police with nothing in return.

“He was a little frustrated because of the fact that he’d paid a little over $250 on this piece here, and there was no redeeming value for him on the other side to recover that money,” Silva said.

While there is no clear proof that bump stocks were responsible for the nearly 60 deaths that resulted from the Las Vegas shooting, John Rosenthal, founder of a Massachusetts-based nonprofit that advocated for the ban, told the Huffington Post that he believes bump stocks should be outlawed because, “We saw in Las Vegas the carnage, which far exceeded the carnage of any other mass shooting in U.S. history, and it made it very clear to me that there’s no purpose whatsoever for a bump stock, other than killing a lot of people very quickly.”

Rosenthal also told CBS Baltimore, “There’s no question in my mind that people won’t turn them in” if the ban became law, and clearly that was not the result.

The city of Denver, Colorado, has introduced a similar ban, which makes bump stocks illegal to sell, carry, store or possess within city limits. While residents also have the option to turn over their devices to law enforcement without repercussions, violators could be fined up to $999 and face up to 180 days in jail.

One of the main points that do not appear to have been thoroughly addressed in this debate is what happens to the bump stocks after they are turned over to police. Not only does the former owner receive no compensation, but the local police department now has a new weapon to add to its increasingly militarized arsenal. And as The Free Thought Project has reported, police in the United States have killed 450 percent more Americans than the last four decades of mass shootings—combined.

Source Article from http://thefreethoughtproject.com/state-bans-popular-ar-15-accessory-police-shocked-4-people-comply/

Study Finds People Given Basic Income Are Likely To Keep Working

Universal Basic Income (UBI) is a social concept in which every person within a system receive a regular, standard, basic income regardless of employment, background or other external factors. Some criticize UBI, saying that people would stop working with a basic income. However, a recent study demonstrated that people receiving UBI would likely keep their jobs and even take on more part-time work.

The study examines the impact of the Alaska Permanent Fund, a $61-billion communal resource backed by oil, which has been running for more than 35 years. It is currently the closest thing to a UBI in the U.S. Researchers at the University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy analyzed the economic effect of the annual cash payments made to Alaskan residents, which have recently totaled around $2,000 per person.

The researchers found that not only did employment not decrease, but the number of people in part-time work actually increased by a significant 17 percent. And, while overall employment was reduced in fields like manufacturing and oil, it remained steady in fields like construction, education, and healthcare.

The researchers concluded in a working paper published in February in the National Bureau of Economic Research that “Our results suggest that a universal and permanent cash transfer does not significantly decrease aggregate employment.”

As automation increasingly threatens human-held occupationspoliticians and experts alike are exploring how realistic a solution UBI could be to this job loss. Not all agree that UBI is the right fix for automation-linked job loss, but this researchcould spark further investigationto see if it could be a good fit for the U.S.

Once it is further reviewed, this data could potentially convince those on the fence that UBI is, at the very least, worth investigating with small, U.S.-based trials. It at least opens up the discussion by suggesting that, even when people receive supplemental income from the government, their drive to work doesn’t simply dissipate. Instead, the fact that people have more money to spend could actually create jobs.

However, Alaska’s program is not a perfect representation of UBI. $2,000 a year couldn’t be viewed as an income replacement, even a part-time income replacement. So, while this study demonstrates that employment trends might not be what some projected, it is difficult to know exactly what to expect because larger payments might cause people to respond differently.

Image Credit: Pixabay

Get free copy of our 33 Page Illustrated eBook- Psychology Meets Spirituality- Secrets To A Supercharged Life You Control!

Source Article from https://truththeory.com/2018/02/20/study-finds-people-given-basic-income-likely-keep-working/

Four people killed by landslide in the Philippines as Tropical Storm Sanba hits (VIDEOS)

Tropical Storm Sanba was acquired from the VIIRS instrument aboard NASA-NOAA's Suomi NPP satellite as it continued moving over the Philippines.

    

Four people were killed in the southern Philippines early Tuesday as a tropical storm unleashed heavy rain and triggered deadly landslides, police said.

Tropical Storm Sanba slammed the east coast of the main southern island of Mindanao Tuesday with gusts of 75 kilometres an hour.

The heavy rain triggered landslides that hit mountain villages outside the mining town of Carrascal — 760 kilometres south of the capital Manila — killing four people, municipal police chief James Alendogao told AFP.

“These areas are currently inaccessible and we do not know the extent of the damage,” he added.

The state weather service said the storm was expected to move swiftly northwest over the next 24 hours, bringing moderate to heavy rain across the central Philippines.

flood

    

The archipelago nation is struck by 20 storms or typhoons each year on average, some of them deadly.

Sanba is already the second major system to hit this year, and the first to cause casualties.

Tropical Storm Tembin killed 240 people in the Mindanao region in December last year.

The country’s deadliest on record is Super Typhoon Haiyan, which left more than 7,350 people dead or missing across the central Philippines in November 2013.

Volatile Mayon volcano is in the area and with the coronal hole on the Sun facing Earth at the moment, this is a prime target for a major quake.

Source: AFP

Source Article from https://www.sott.net/article/377423-Four-people-killed-by-landslide-in-the-Philippines-as-Tropical-Storm-Sanba-hits-VIDEOS

Five people killed in 'horrific' Kentucky shooting spree

Five people have been killed, including a gunman thought to have taken his own life, during a “horrific” shooting spree in Kentucky.

Police received an emergency call on Saturday afternoon reporting a shooting at a rural home near the small city of Paintsville, in the northeast of the state.

Officers found two people dead and began to search the area for the shooter, Johnson County Sheriff Dwayne Price said in the statement.

The sheriff added a second 911 call led deputies and police to an apartment in Paintsville, where three more people were found fatally shot, including the gunman.

“This has been a horrific murder spree,” Sheriff Price said. “There are no words to describe the heartbreak in seeing four lives taken due to the actions of one man.

“I have worked in law enforcement for 34 years. This is one of the most disturbing acts of violence I have ever seen.”

Officials identified the gunman as Joseph Nickell, but no other information about him was made available.

The identities of victims have also not been released as law enforcement representatives were attempting to notify their next of kin.

“Working a murder is never easy.” Sheriff Price added in a later statement posted on Facebook, “Working the murders of four innocent people that are part of your community is even tougher.

“The scenes are never the same but the chilling outcome is always heart wrenching.

“No matter how many deaths you have seen or how many scenes you have been on, it never gets easier.”

The murders come little more than a fortnight after a shooting spree at a Kentucky high school left two students dead and 16 injured.

In that case, the suspect opened fire at the Marshall County High School on a group of teenagers between the ages of 14 and 18.

Several outlets reported the editor of a local news website rushed to the scene, where she apparently discovered the alleged gunman was her son.

A 15-year-old boy was arrested at the scene and charged as a minor with two counts of murder and 12 counts of first degree assault.

Assistant County Attorney Jason Darnall told reporters that his office would move to have the boy tried as an adult.

Additional reporting by Reuters

Source Article from https://www.yahoo.com/news/five-people-killed-apos-horrific-192244829.html