US Treasury chief's wife apologizes over Instagram post

Washington (AFP) – The wife of US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin apologized on Tuesday after she posted an Instagram photo and comments that were slammed as tone deaf and elitist.

Louise Linton, 36, who is also a Scottish actress, posted a photo to the social network on Monday night that showed her descending with Mnuchin from an official US government plane. She tagged her designer clothing and accessories, including Tom Ford sunglasses, an Hermes scarf and Valentino heels.

The husband and wife had just returned from a trip to Kentucky, where Mnuchin addressed the Louisville Chamber of Commerce and visited the US Bullion Depository at Fort Knox.

The Commerce Department estimates that about 18.5 percent of Kentuckians live in poverty.

A user, jennimiller29, left a comment accusing Linton of freeloading on the taxpayer’s dime: “Glad we could pay for your little getaway. #deplorable.”

Linton was apparently unable to resist a lengthy rebuttal: “Aw!!! Did you think this was a personal trip?! Adorable!” she wrote. “Do you think the the US govt paid for our honeymoon or personal travel?! Lololol.”

Linton also said that by virtue of their wealth, she and Mnuchin contributed more to society than jennimiller29.

“Have you given more to the economy than me and my husband? Either as an individual earner in taxes OR in self sacrifice to your country?” Linton wrote. “Pretty sure the amount we sacrifice per year is a lot more than you’d be willing to sacrifice if the choice was yours.”

“You’re adorably out of touch.”

By Tuesday morning, Linton’s post had reportedly been removed from her Instagram account, which was no longer publicly accessible.

She also issued an apology through her publicist later in the day.

“I apologize for my post on social media yesterday as well as my response. It was inappropriate and highly insensitive,” Linton said in the statement given to AFP.

A Treasury Department spokesperson told AFP the couple were reimbursing the federal government for Linton’s travel.

“She receives no compensation for the products she mentions,” the spokesperson added.

A former Goldman Sachs executive, Hollywood producer and banker, Mnuchin is a prominently wealthy member of the Trump administration, one of the richest in recent memory.

Fortune magazine estimates Mnuchin’s net worth is as high as $500 million.

During Senate confirmation, he faced awkward questions about previously undisclosed offshore investment firms and real estate holdings of about $100 million.

Linton posed earlier this year for the magazine Town and Country, exhibiting the lavish diamond and pearl jewelry she wore at her June wedding to Mnuchin.

The other Instagram user, identified by The New York Times as Jenni Miller, a 45-year-old mother of three from Oregon, told the paper Linton had gone on a “rant” to make herself appear “smarter, better, richer — all those things.”

“If she hadn’t made her account private, I would have written back with a very snide Marie Antoinette joke,” Miller said.

Source Article from https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-treasury-chiefs-wife-social-media-scrap-over-210427625.html

Education Dept. official apologizes for comments on sexual assault

The Education Department’s top civil rights official has apologized for her characterization that 90 percent of campus sexual assault accusations investigated by the federal government under Title IX stem from drunken regret or the fallout of a broken romance.

Candice Jackson, the acting assistant secretary for the department’s Office of Civil Rights, said in a Wednesday New York Times article, “The accusations — 90 percent of them — fall into the category of ‘We were both drunk,’ ‘We broke up, and six months later I found myself under a Title IX investigation because she just decided that our last sleeping together was not quite right.’”

Jackson apologized for her comments in a late Wednesday statement from the Education Department, calling them “flippant.”

“As a survivor of rape myself, I would never seek to diminish anyone’s experience,” Jackson said. “My words in the New York Times poorly characterized the conversations I’ve had with countless groups of advocates. … All sexual harassment and sexual assault must be taken seriously — which has always been my position and will always be the position of this Department.”

Sexual assault survivors and advocates have blasted Jackson for the comments. The Senate’s assistant minority leader, Patty Murray, D-Wash., slammed Jackson’s comments in a Wednesday letter to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

In the letter, first obtained by BuzzFeed News, Murray wrote that Jackson’s views promulgated “damaging misinformation about sexual violence.”

Murray, who is the top Democrat on the Senate Health Committee, said she was “deeply disturbed” by Jackson’s characterization of sexual assault accusations investigated under Title IX of the Education Amendments Act, especially given Jackson’s position as head of the department’s Office of Civil Rights.

“At the least, this suggests a fundamental misunderstanding of campus sexual assault and suggests that OCR is not prepared to take accounts from survivors seriously,” Murray wrote.

Jackson also said in the Times article that some campus representatives described the public list of universities under Title IX investigation as “a list of shame.” The list, published in 2014 by the Education Department, also identifies schools where investigations have been initiated but have not yet found proof of sexual misconduct.

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos testifies before a Senate subcommittee on June 6. (Photo: Aaron P. Bernstein/Reuters)Education Secretary Betsy DeVos testifies before a Senate subcommittee on June 6. (Photo: Aaron P. Bernstein/Reuters)

Murray expressed concerns that Jackson’s description presented “a clear lack of understanding about the importance of transparency in the Federal government.” The senator cited a 2015 American Association of American Universities report on 27 universities that found 23.1 percent of female undergraduates experienced sexual assault or sexual misconduct by physical force, and called for continued public reports of schools under Title IX investigation.

The senator’s letter also took aim at DeVos for her refusal to commit to upholding current Title IX investigation procedures. Under President Trump, the department is preparing to reassess how federal investigations of campus sexual assault are handled. Democrats have praised former President Barack Obama for a more aggressive approach to investigations, while Republicans have said Obama’s strategy went too far, citing concerns of federal overreach.

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Pa., also wrote to DeVos, who is scheduled to meet Thursday with sexual assault survivors, those accused of sexual assault and higher education administrators.

“Any rollback of protections for victims of campus sexual assault is completely unacceptable, and your refusal to express support for federal protections of victims of sexual assault does a disservice to the women and men who have bravely spoken out about their own experiences in order to end this injustice,” Casey wrote.

_____

Read more from Yahoo News:

Source Article from https://www.yahoo.com/news/doe-civil-rights-head-apologizes-comments-sexual-assault-accusations-144847171.html

Democratic lawmaker from Maine apologizes over threat to harm Trump

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 5,748 other followers

Source Article from https://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/2017/07/13/democratic-lawmaker-from-maine-apologizes-over-threat-to-harm-trump/